Friday, November 7, 2008

Innocence

France 2004



The students at a mysterious all-girls boarding school learn strange life lessons from their two stern young teachers (Marion Cotillard and Hélène de Fougerolles) in this beguiling and surreal feature debut by director Lucile Hadzihalilovic. Featuring poetic and startling images by acclaimed cinematographer Benoit Debie, the film captured awards at film festivals in
Amsterdam, Stockholm, Istanbul and San Sebastian, Spain.
8.5/10



A very interesting film. As I was viewing "L'Ecole" I found myself very intrigued by the mystery of the whole premise. The whole time I was trying to pin point what was exactly going on as well why and found myself waiting for something catastrophic to happen. Nothing really does but that does not make this film bad in any way. Innocence is of exactly that. Innocence, period. It's a very beautiful multi-interpretable cinematic flare. I did not get bored and I really wanted to see it through until the end without interruption. It is the epitome of a slow burner but with it's mystique and "art film" undertones, it's a collective of character studies not only on the little girls, but on the adults governing their circumstances. Good film.

No comments: