Sunday, October 26, 2008

El Aura

Part character study, part crime drama, The Aura follows reclusive and fastidious taxidermist Espinosa as he moves from dreaming about pulling off the perfect crime to actually planning and executing a real heist. Filmmaker Fabian Bielinsky (Nine Queens) lovingly nurtures Espinosa (Ricardo Darin), creating a complex character whose eerie frozen moments of epileptic seizure (hence the film's title) make for hypnotic viewing.
10/10



Easily, undoubtedly, without argument; one of the most inventive, slow burning, brilliantly crafted, noir crime dramas ever made. I kid you not. This is such an amazing character study that delivers a perplexed man, trying to understand his self conjured up demons, facing them without looking at them straight in the eyes and then completely burying them without ever looking back. When I first saw this, my eyes were glued without distraction to the screen, as my heart pounded with excitement I caught a cold sweat and goosebumps at the cold hard dialog and story unfolding in front of me. This film inspired many dreams of mine ever since. It has an infectious after affect that has left a major influential imprint on my mind. I was so bummed when I found out the director had passed away, because whatever he had his head set on next I would be there at his heels begging for an early preview. Just watch this. If you don't like it, stop watching movies.

No comments: